Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Metric

Instead of lounging around and eating ALL day long on Thanksgiving, I decided to go for a metric. Matt Maxwell and I had been talking about a gravel road in Boone county that looked interesting, but that we'd never been down. L road/115th, if anyone's interested. It makes a nice curvy loop on the map, and it's just north of Fraser (where there are some other interesting, hilly roads that I took on the way back). I met a number of nice folks out on the road that stopped to say hello. The denizen of the house at the bottom of the hill on L road stopped in the middle of the gravel road, and when I pulled up next to him said, "I've seen a lot of things come down that hill, but never a biker. Well, at least not that type of biker." He must have been getting ready to head over to a family member's house for Thanksgiving, as he was putting a can of Busch Lite in his cup holder.

With the hills and the 25mph wind, it was a great day to be out on gravel. I remember thinking that I might expend more calories than I consumed this Thanksgiving, but after coming home and eating a few platefuls of delicious food that my girlfriend cooked for us, that's pretty doubtful.

There's only a few weeks left in 2011, so get out and ride!

~Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment